VIEW COMPLETE 2023 WESTCHESTER/ROCKLAND LOCAL RULES & REGULATIONS
USTA TIMED MATCH PROCEDURE
- A specific time ending device needs to be agreed upon and set by both teams. If an alarm is being used, the volume should be audible to all and play stops when the sound goes off even if the players are in the middle of a point.
- Play should continue right up to the end time of the match. In the event the match has not been completed at the 2 hour mark, end the match and allocate the points according to the following guidelines. (Use the “timed match” option when entering the scores for this court.)
- A game in progress should not be completed and does not count.
- If the teams have split sets, with no time left to start the match tiebreak – The match ends in a tie.
- If the team that won the first set is on serve, tied, or ahead by 1 break or more in the 2nd set – That team wins the match.
- If the team that won the first set is losing the 2nd set by 1 break or more – The match ends in a tie.
GUIDELINES IF TEAMS SPLIT SETS & THIRD SET MATCH TIEBREAK IN PROCESS
- If the match tiebreak is tied or on serve, the match ends in a tie.
- If a team is up by one break point or more in the tiebreak, that team wins the match.
GUIDELINES IF SECOND SET TIEBREAK IN PROCESS & MATCH HAS TIMED OUT
- If the teams are in a second set tiebreak, the team that is up by one or more break points in that tiebreak wins the set (and it can then be decided if there is a match winner or if the match ends in a tie).
- If the score in the second set tiebreak is even or on serve, the second set is deemed a tie and the winner of the match is the team that won the first set.
SPRING/SUMMER RAIN RULE
Visitors MUST declare before the match how they will handle a rain interruption. They have the choice of either coming back to finish the match, or using the timed match scoring above to decide the winner.
1. EXCEPTION: If less than one set is played, it is expected that the teams will finish their match on a rescheduled date, unless both teams agree otherwise. (If both teams agree not to reschedule a rained-out match that is still in the first set, a team that is up a break in the first set would win the match. If the teams are tied or on serve, the match should be recorded as a tie.)
In the event of rain and a subsequent full match reschedule, any court previously defaulted must be rescheduled and played.
SPRING/SUMMER DARKNESS RULE
On outdoor unlit courts, play must continue until (and no later than) the designated match end time which is as follows:
- May: 8 pm
- June and July: 8:30 pm
- August: 8 pm
Matches that time out due to darkness are considered final and do not get completed on a different date. Matches that time out for darkness should use the timed match procedure once the match is completed to determine if there is a winner or if the match ends in a tie.